Monday, August 9, 2010

Sunday night/ E'Terra Lodge

I am in heaven. For those of you who read Harper's hideaway report, E'terra should be listed in it. The closest similar places I have been to were the lodges in New Zealand. This is a lodge with a quiet zen vibe that instantly fills anyone here with happiness and serenity. I've taken pictures and will insert them, but there is no way I can capture the feeling here with my camera. The best way I can explain it is to tell you that I have never seen The Tramp so comfortable in a strange place. She ran in here ahead of me when we got out of the car. As we are the ONLY guests here tonight and tomorrow I was allowed to let Tramp have the run of the lodge and she hasn't come to sit by me ever since. She ran in the woods. She swam in the lillypond. She jumped into the lake. She ran in the forest. And she gossiped with Laurie, the inn keeper, and her staff person as they did the laundry and ironing from a sold out week that had just ended for them. Even now, as we are the only people in this beautiful place, she is somewhere else (I am in the upstairs library) comfortably sleeping, happy to be here.




I was disappointed in the ride up the Bruce Peninsula to get here. I drove a spine of black tar separating fields of corn or hay. There was nothing unusual or remarkable in the landscape. I knew there was water both to the east and west of me, but it could not be seen from the road, and there was nothing to turn off to go and explore. I suspect the only way to see the beauty that is supposed to be all along this spit of land is to walk it but that is not in the cards for Tramp or me.



About 10 miles south of Tobermory we did come across a picnic area and so I pulled over to allow both tramp and me to stretch our legs. Tramp was delighted to jump out of the car and she immediately took off down a wide trail. I soon found out why.  Lo and behold, there was a small creek  which, of couse,  she immediately jumped into - and I mean jumped. The bank of the stream was about 3 feet up from the water and there was no way she was going to be able to get herself out of there.  I walked down to the edge, flattened myself in the grassy bank, and reached for her collar. One good tug and she was up and out. And I was covered in mud.



We sat in the sun for a bit, played keep away with a stick, and then, a bit more dry and dusted off, we went back to the car for the final leg of the drive here.



I was a bit worried that this lodge, hidden as it is down a dirt road, would be hard to find, but I worried needlessly. And, as we turned the final turn and the lodge revealed itself to us, I knew I had done good to come here.





The lodge has 4 or 5 stories with a small elevator for guests who cannot manage the stairs. It is constructed of natural materials with an eye to as much environmental care as possible. In fact, the construction won a Canadian environmental recognition award.  Inside, it is beautiful, furnished in understated rustic elegance. The bedrooms are large with beautiful large baths. There is a sauna, an indoor goldfish pond, a library, a breakfast room and a living room for all guests to enjoy. Outside, there is a saltwater infinity pool.   Redwood paths lead you through the woods to hiking trails and the lake. But lest you think I've gone on the payroll here, all is not perfect. The water pressure was so poor that I gave up trying to fill the whirlpool tub and took a weak shower. There was plenty of hot water; but it came out in a thin stream. But the towels were thick and soft and plush and I really didn't mind the disappointment about the bath. There is a TV with satellite reception, but the sound is funky and goes off for periods. I don't think this is a place to come to watch TV. So, in a few minutes I will see if I can find my pup and curl up in bed with my book. I suspect I won't get much read tho before I will shut my eyes and sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds ideal. Back here at the Big apple ranch, we are due for another scorcher. So keep jumping in rivers and finding heavenly places to spend the night.

    ReplyDelete