Thursday, August 5, 2010

On the Road: /day 1, August 5th

Well, this adventure has not begun auspiciously.

The day began well enough. I awoke with plenty of time to enjoy my coffee and listen to the news and weather before having to get up. I was able to get everything that remained to be done finished and either packed or put away. I was on the road at 11 - perfect. My first stop was actually an errand at my local hospital, Three months ago I volunteered for a 2 year study on osteoporosis treatments - I don't yet have it but am in a high risk group given my gender and age. At any rate this protocol requires me to give myself a shot once/day, every day, and there is a pre-filled syringe that lasts for 28 days. I am near the end of my current syringe and needed to pick up a new one. Knowing this would take only a few minutes, I parked illegally by a curb near the door to the research building, put on the emergency blinkers and ran in. All was well and good until I got out and found myself boxed in my a huge catering truck. A kind young man quickly assessed my dilemma and offered to guide me as I would back out. Great, right? Wrong. There is much I like about my car, and much I do not. One of the things I like is how well I can see behind me. On of the things I don't like is how little I can see of what is right in front of me. The car hood drops away at the base of the windshield, and I can see nothing near the front or side bumpers. Turns out, as I had to cut my wheel sharply to maneuver around the truck at my front and left, and the parked car behind, my right front fender came up against a low white cement barrier that I could not see. And the friendly young man, who was next to it, just kept telling me to cut the wheel, cut the wheel. Next thing I knew he was saying - oh well, it should buff out with no problem....






Needless to say, I was less trusting as he guided me the rest of the way backing down the narrow and steeply nclined driveway.





By now it was nearly noon and I was anxious to actually get on the highway. I still had one stop - Starbucks for coffee and cake - and then, pretty much on schedule, I eased onto the Mass Pike. Destination: Little Falls, NY. The forecast showed a line of heavy weather drifting from the Midwest to the east coast coming right at me along my route. Boston was still just very hot and humid (packing the car was decidedly NOT fun in this weather as it meant lots of trips up and down stairs carrying multiple cases) as I was driving away, and I was hopeful that maybe I would get away with only some light rain. NOT TO BE. I made it to Lenox, but then the heavens opened and for the next 20 miles or so I could see almost nothing. I pulled right, put on the emergency blinkers and slowed to the general pace of traffic - about 30 mph. Then, almost as suddenly as it began, it was over and the sun was out. By now, I was off the pike and decided I would get off the highway completely and go onto some secondary roads. How beautiful! I am quite sure, had I been born a century ago, I would have made a happy farmer's wife. I love the rolling hills, the corn waving high, the cows and horses grazing. We made excellent time, and by 4:00PM, when  I had a conference call I needed to join for an upcoming graduate school reunion, I was parked by a sweet little park letting Syd sniff and enjoy as I sat on a bench and listened in. (That is until Verizon had another idea and dropped me from the call. "Can you hear me now? Now?")





Soon we were in Little Falls looking for our inn. Not so easy to find even with GPS which got me close, but on the wrong side of the Mohawk River. I chose little falls because it is about half way to Toronto and because it had what appeared to be a cute B&B that would take the Tramp. As I've discovered, Little Falls is a sweet little town near the Erie Canal with a path along the river perhaps all the way to the canal itself. I'm not sure as when I walked with Tramp to the entrance of the walkway, there were lots of flags flapping loudly and there was NO WAY she was going where those strange things were making so much noise. So we unpacked the car with those iyems we'd need for overnight and settled into our room. The room is actually a small studio apartment with living room, full kitchen, king bed and adequate bath. The restaurant where I may have dinner and will definitely have breakfast/brunch actually is a French bistro with a wine spectator award of excellence. Wow. I brought picnic stuff (leftovers from my refrigerator) but I may have to check it out anyway. This inn has only a few rooms, but Tramp has already checked most of them out and the other guests are friendly and welcoming. All in all, I am happy with the choice.



Tomorrow it's off to Toronto to visit with cousins. I've got a seat belt for the Tramp who hates the border police and I've learned how to lock her windows so she can't get her head out to menace them. Still, I am not looking forward to the crossing. She just takes her protection duties too seriously for comfort!

1 comment:

  1. Love your account of the leavetaking -- feel like I am indeed on board. Too bad about the car but something always has to go wrong when you start a big adventure -- and this wasn't too bad. Little Falls sounds like a real find -- cozy, inviting, and a perfect place to rest your head on your first night out. Hugs to Syd -- and may she be nice to the border folks.

    ReplyDelete