Friday, August 13, 2010

A rainy Friday morning overlooking Lake Superior

Well, the UP (Michigan's upper peninsular ) is BIG. Very, very big. In fact, I think of Michigan as a very large state and the UP is,by itself, a quarter of this large state's total land mass.  It's so far north that I think the cartographers need to shrink it a bit when they show it in relationship to the rest of the US, but when you are here, well, it is a big (literally) surprise. I had googled the directions from St. Ignace to Mohawk, our next stop, so I knew I would be driving a long distance, but somehow it didn't quite register how very long it would be.


I slept in Thursday morning, made some coffee and went back to bed to read a few more chapters in my book and wait for the sun to burn off the morning fog. Then I got on-line to compose yesterday's blog entry and before I knew it, it was almost 11 and time to check out.


My home in St Ignace

I loaded up the car, took some pictures, and set off for Mohawk.










Tyson, the Tramp's young friend


The sleeping alcove in our cabin
The route from St. Ignace to Mohawk starts west along Lake Michigan, turns north up to Lake Superior, and then follows the lake north and west along a point of land that hooks around like a crooked finger. Before making the turn north tramp and I found a sandwich shop and a beach and picnicked at the shore. The sand was white and soft; the beach only moderately occupied despite the absolutely perfect sunny day; and quite relaxed. Tramp was able to take herself down to the water and go visiting families and everyone was quite relaxed about her. After a nice rest, we hopped back in the car and continued on our way. OK, so that was our only stop, we were on the road at 11 and we didn't pull up to the driveway of this B&B until 6PM. That's right. 7 hours and I really hit the gas pedal in some places. At any rate I figure the UP stretches about 3 - 4 times the length of Massachusetts. That's pretty darn BIG.
After unpacking the car I showered and rested a bit and then piled Tramp back in so we could backtrack to Haughton airport to meet Red landing at 11:30. I found a little restaurant for dinner, talked to the owner/bartender/cook for about an hour and went to find the airport. Red got in early and after hugs and kisses all around (Tramp and Red, Tramp and Sophie, Red and me, Sophie and me, round and round) we loaded into the car and back we came. It was 1:30 AM before we settled into bed and turned off the light.



Today the weather has turned against us - thunder showers most of the day, I think, but if I can I'll take some pictures and attach them in a future blog.

4 comments:

  1. You write so beautifully that I feel like I'm with you. How I wish I were. I look forward to a time in the near future when I can make one of these wonderful trips with you. I especially like your instincts and spontineity about changing routes.

    We leave for Florida this week to get M into his apartment. I'm excited for him.
    Can't wait to read your next entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read that the inhabitants of the Upper Penninsula are called Yoopers -- have you heard that reference?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyson Looks cute and playful. I am sure Tramp is happy to have a friend to play with. Hope the Weather is kind to you. I like your home in St Ignace. We look forward to the next blog.

    Had Birthday dinner in Arlington this evening.

    ReplyDelete