Sunday, September 12, 2010

Something Special about Asheville

I love mountains.  I grew up by the ocean and have spent hours daydreaming by its edges, but the mountains take my breath away.

a poor picture of beautiful mountains
I have never lived in the mountains.  Someday, I hope I get the chance.  I don't think I would ever tire of them.  I love the Bitterroots in Wyoming and Montana, but the weather there is severe and I don't think I could manage it.  New Hampshire and Vt have mountains, but not as beautiful as the Rockies, and with harsh winters and no springtime.  I love the Santa Catalina and Rincon mountains surrounding Tucson, and I find the desert beautiful, but I think I need more green than southern Arizona can offer me.  The Rockies are awesome, and the idea of 350 days of sunshine each year make Colorado high on my personal preference list, but I am late to discover this state.  It is now crowded and expensive.  I did fall in love with Santa Fe this trip.  The beautiful Sangre de Cristo Mountains are just 16 miles from the heart of historic Santa Fe and each night we were there they managed to take my breath away.   The Blue Ridge Mountains, however, may have it all, and Asheville, in the heart of these mountains is funky, fun, attractive and affordable.

Asheville was a crossroads of Indian trails until the railroad came through in the late 1880's.  Hot springs brought health-seeking tourists from the north and settlers built resorts and destination spas.  The town still caters to people seeking relaxation and rejuvenation with something - lots of somethings - for anyone in need of some magic. 

So  Asheville boomed during the turn of the century and the city developed with beaux arts and art deco architecture.  Ironically, during the bust years, and the years of All America cities when huge areas of cities were bulldozed into oblivion, Asheville was too poor for any of this and off the radar.  Today those buildings have been restored and populated with unique boutiques and small restaurants.  The people who live here are environmentally conscious, care about quality in food, in goods, in service.  The land supports farms and ranches and local produce and meats are important and available in "tailgate" markets and on restaurant menus.  They also love art - performance art, visual art, and music.  The downtown has lots and lots of public sculpture (something I love) museums, galleries and studios.  Asheville has a symphony orchestra, a lyric opera and one of the best rock venues in the country (seriously - that's from Rolling Stone magazine!)

Madison County lushness
So, there's culture and surprising sophistication in this mountain town.  There's also its awe-inspiring natural setting. Its mountains are covered in thick forests and full of color; The vistas take your breath away.  There's even skiing.  The highest mountain east of the Mississippi is here. There is hiking for all levels (think Appalachian trail).  There is mountain biking. The streams, lakes and rivers provide white water rafting, swimming, fishing, etc. etc. So, for anyone seeking outdoor adventure or a simple picnic, there is a lot to choose from.

And - the weather is wonderful.  There are 4 distinct seasons here, but rarely more than 15 inches of snow in the winter and rarely very hot in the summer.  There is little humidity - more than in Arizona, but far less than the eastern coast.  The fall colors are glorious like New England.  There is a real spring season with flowers and warmth.

So, there are lots and lots of things that attract me to this part of the world.  But all that is rational, and in fact, I don't think my love of this area is rational.  I just feel good here.  It somehow fits me, I think.  I don't really know that, of course.  I've never spent more than a couple of days at a time here.  So I have to do that someday - come and stay for a while.

1 comment: